The blessed land of Jordan shelters the mausoleums and shrines of many prophets, righteous persons, companions of the Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him), martyrs and national leaders (may God be pleased with them). These shrines honour exemplary sacrifice and leadership and underline Jordan’s role in Arab and Islamic history.
Jordan’s Hashemite leadership understood the importance of these sites and the need to preserve and maintain them. In 1984, His Majesty the late King Hussein Bin Talal ordered the formation of a royal committee for the restoration and maintenance of shrines in Jordan and the building of mosques on their sites. He launched a new phase of maintenance and restoration work in 1992.
Since His Majesty King Abdullah II ascended to the throne, he has shouldered this honourable duty, and directed the concerned authorities to complete the rest of the renovation and maintenance projects, as laid out in the royal committee’s comprehensive plan. Accordingly, the following projects were achieved:
- Shrines of Companions of the Prophet Mohammad, South Mazar, Karak.
- Mosque and Shrine of the Companion of the Prophet Abu Ubaydah Amir Bin Al Jarrah, Central Ghor
- Mosque of the Companion of the Prophet Dirar Bin Al Azwar, Central Ghor
- Mosque of the Companion of the Prophet Shurhabil Bin Husna,, Northern Ghor
- Mosque of the Companion of the Prophet Amir Bin Abi Waqqas, Northern Ghor
- Mosque of the Companion of the Prophet, Maaz Bin Jabal, North Shouneh
- Mosque of the Companion of the Prophet, Al Harith Bin Umayr Al Azadi, Tafileh Governorate
- Mosque of the Companion of the Prophet Al Qatham Bin Abbas, Tashkent , Uzbekistan (Central Asia)
- Site of the tree that shaded and sheltered the Prophet, (peace be upon him) during his trade with the Levant, in the Bakiawiyyeh, Safawi
- Mosque of the Companion of the Prophet Abu Dhurr Al Ghifari, Madaba
- Shrine of the Companion of the Prophet Bilal Bin Rabah, Wadi Seer
- Development of the site of Kahf Ahl Al Kahf (Cave of the Sleepers), Raqim
- Development of the site of Abu Sulayman Al Darani, Shobak
- Mosque of the Companion of the Prophet Abdul Rahman Bin Awf, Jbeiha
- Mosque of the Prophet Shuyab (peace be upon him), Wadi Shuyab, Salt
- Mosque of the Prophet Yosha (peace be upon him) Salt
- Mosque of the Prophet Harun (peace be upon him), Wadi Musa
- Mosque of the Prophet Hud, (peace be upon him) Jerash
- Irbid Grand Mosque, Irbid
The committee also completed the maintenance and restoration of a number of projects including: the cave of the Prophet Isa (peace be upon him) in Umm Qays-Irbid; the sanctuary of Abu Al Dardaa in Soum Ashunnaq –Irbid; the sanctuary of the Prophet Noah (peace be upon him) in Karak; the sanctuary of Al Khider in Mahis; the sanctuary of the Companion of the Prophet Maysarah Bin Masruq Al Abassi; and the mosque and sanctuary of Hazir, in Salt.
The restorations to the Mosque and Sanctuaries of the Companions of the Prophet in the South Mazar, Karak Governorate were the largest of these operations. The committee also prepared tender documents for the implementation and maintenance of a number of projects, including: the sanctuaries of Al Khider the Saint in Bayt Ras and Karak; the sanctuary of the Companion of the Prophet Ikramah Bin Abi Jahl in Ajloun; the sanctuary of the Companion of the Prophet Farwa Bin Amro Al Jadhami in Tafileh; the sanctuary of the Prophet Sulayman (peace be upon him) in Karak; and the development of Moses’ Springs in Madaba. Future projects are planned for Irbid and Ajloun.